Making A Movie About A Musician, Almost Forgot The Music

The irony. I almost completely forgot about the music in the film opening. We wanted a diegetic piano track (sound is presented as if it originated from our film's world) to be playing in the titular scene of the film opening... however, I have yet to compose the track and record it. As the tone of our film is melancholic, it would make the most sense to use minor chords and play something slow and sappy, in order to follow drama conventions and create an appeal with the audience.
Related image
Luckily, the process of making a track/song isn't incredibly complex for me. I mentioned in a previous post that the software GarageBand was my initial inspiration for our character's musicial ability. Being musician myself in the real world, I have learned my way around the software. It has the capability to record what I play on my piano keyboard and saves it as a file that I can email, text or AirDrop to myself, which makes the process of recording minimal.


The process of composing is a different story. What should it sound like?? My partner Lexi told me to "just do some slow piano melody"... which wasn't very helpful. I'm pondering the idea of playing some soft minor chords coupled with some ambient vocals (me going "oooOohhh" or "aAHhhhH") for the title sequence, and then the rest of the film opening be the solely the piano instrumental. I of course have to run everything I consider past Lexi, but I really do  think she'd love the idea.

Screen-capture of GarageBand final product 💁:


I don't know if you can tell from the screen cap, but the music track essentially has two nuances to it. Initially, I created a piano track of the same 4 repeating chords and laid down a ambient vocal track on top of that. After that was finished, I made the instrumental track by muting the vocals and lowering the sound, and then recorded my character's monolgue on top of that track. Simple right?